Sunday, January 23, 2011

How to make your own simple strap-on harness: a photo guide!

First of all, to establish my dorky maker cred (as if that needed doing), this is the bed I sleep in every night:


Oh yeah--it lights up.


It lights up by remote control.


Anyway. Let's get to the fun part. Er, the part where you have fun.

How To Make a Thong-style Strap-on Harness

Materials
All you need is:
84 inches of 1-inch-wide nylon webbing

Obviously this could change with body size and shape, but the design is very adjustable, so the measurements I used should fit most people with a 42-inch waist or under.

Fittings for the webbing (you can get these at Strapworks and similar retailers):
2 side-release buckles
3 friction slides
1 O-ring

I used a 2-inch-diameter ring, which holds smaller dildos snugly, but if you want to wield a very girthy cock you might have to go up a little in size.

The only tools I used were a lighter and a needle and thread.

Construction
Cut the nylon webbing into four segments:
45 inches for the waistband
25 inches for the crotch strap
Two 7-inch stubs for the buckles

Use the flame from a lighter or candle to sear off the edges to keep them from fraying. Be careful; one pass through the flame does it. Extended toasting will release nasty fumes and melted nylon, which could give you a horrible burn, which I learned the hard way.

Stitch the end of the crotch strap to the center of the waistband. A sewing machine would be nice for this, but I just stitched it by hand, sewing a box around all four sides of the overlap as well as an "X" shape inside. For comfort, this should be on the outside of the waistband, away from your skin.


Attach a "male" buckle half and a slide to each end of the waistband. Keep in mind with each of these steps which side of the waistband will be toward your skin; the view here is how it should look from the outside.


Use the third slide to attach the free end of the crotch strap to the O-ring.


Take each of the two stubs, fold about an inch over the O-ring, and sew it in place.


Attach the "female" buckle ends to the other ends of the stumps, again folding over and sewing in place.


Fit
(The photos for this section didn't come out well, but they should give you a general idea of where the fittings go, at least.)

With the ring facing forwards, just click the buckles shut over your hips. Fuss with all three slides to get it symmetrical and snug.
The front should look like this:


And the back like this:


Now unbuckle. Get a dildo with a broad base or "balls" on it, thread it through the ring, buckle back up, and ride 'em, cowboy.

20 comments:

  1. Verticality, like color coordination, means nothing in the face of BOUNDLESS ENTHUSIASM!

    Also, the canopy is vertical.
    ...The shelves and lamp, not so much. But I also didn't make those myself, so bleh, blame IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg Holly - I LOVE your bed!! It's the coolest thing. I'm actually loving the strap-on, too....I wonder if L would be interested....love your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! It looks like the friction slides have a flat side and a curved side - if they don't stay in place, try turning them flat side in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Enter obligatory "I've been reading your blog for years and I love it/you but have been too shy to leave a comment before!" here)

    How did you do that with your bed? I'm a lighting designer for theatre/concerts, so I am fascinated by everything that lights up. Also, that harness looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bed is saaaaaaaaa-weet. I could also definitely use a harness, though my thrusting abilities are limited. I imagine that improves with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made the bed??? I want a bed like that! How'd ya do it????
    Also, the harness looks awesome. Door prize at the next munch? I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bed is PVC pipe, window sheers, Christmas lights (red up the posts, and a blue net over the top), and a Christmas-display remote system.

    The remote system is really nice because the other buttons control more decorative lights around my window and the main room light. I don't really use the goofy lights that much, but it's ridiculously useful to have the room light on a remote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You rock, Holly. I must get some remote-controlled lights for my bed now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dammit, I've always wanted a strap-on harness (I've never shelled out for one because I have nobody to use it with). But I've always wanted a light-up canopy bed too! I honestly can't decide which of these things is awesomer.

    --Andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a cool looking harness. So whose enjoying it more so far, rowdy or Sprite?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sooo want a bed like yours! Unfortunately, my monster cats would destroy it try to get to the top. D:

    ReplyDelete
  12. That be most beauteous bed Svutlana ever see, Ms Holly. Unfortunate, Svutlana would destroy it with try for get to top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious, does the dangling webbing in the front bother anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not at all. Its like a brake line, right? Pull to slow down...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hypothetically speaking, how much would you charge for a commission to make another light-up bedpost set like that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. K - That setup is actually kinda kludgey--there's messy wires on the other side, the fabric is really just thrown on top, and there's visible ugly tape in places. So to do that exact setup, probably $120 including materials?

    To do it right, $250.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and anon - You can fix the dangling webbing just by futzing with the slides. I just forgot to do that when I took the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My partner does not like the centre webbing instead why not put two webbings near the waist or between waiste and the top of the O ring. So that her bum will take care of, and will not have anything troubling her lips.

    ReplyDelete
  19. did you use a sewing machine if not what kind of needle and thread?

    ReplyDelete