Friday, May 14, 2010

Nice Day.

I have the new Cosmo! But I have no time to Cosmock because I just got home from the [undisclosed location] where I work and now I have to go out of town for a couple days and oh it's all craziness.

I just remembered another reason I stopped doing the Twisty Faster snarks: I just don't have the energy to refight the circular, angry, heels-dug-in patriarchy argument over and over every time I write one. Even when there's some mutual respect between me and the people I'm arguing with, I still feel like we're going back and forth with "is not!" and "is too!" forever. (Is not, by the way.)

Anyway. I'm having a really nice day. I love my new job; I thought it would be just okay, but it's turning out great because everyone there is really nice and--more surprisingly if you've worked in my industry--really focused on Doing Things Right. I've worked in a lot of places where "good enough, no one's looking, you can skip a few steps when you're busy" was a common attitude, but at [undisclosed] I have yet to run into one person who acts like that. You want to know how goody-goody this place is? Non-managers quote the company slogan to each other and mean it. Maybe this is just a honeymoon period, but I'm loving it. (That is not the company slogan.)

Also I have people offering to tie me up. That always improves things.

And Boston is working out really well. I've made friends here, I have a home, I'm starting to learn my way around, the city is beautiful, and life in general has been good. So I'm happy. I guess this isn't much of a sexblog thing to say, but I'm just enjoying life.

Lately I'm starting to feel... like a person. Like an almost normal adult. I go to work, I go to the store, I hang out with people, I have hobbies. (Some stranger than others, but still.) Like this is what life is supposed to be like.

I have a lot of happy in me. All the time, I mean, not just now. Stuff can come between me and my happy, sometimes way between and I don't feel the happy at all, but it's always there. I always have happy. This world is a good place. Boom de yada.

10 comments:

  1. yay for happy! I have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remembered another reason I stopped doing the Twisty Faster snarks: I just don't have the energy to refight the circular, angry, heels-dug-in patriarchy argument over and over every time I write one. Even when there's some mutual respect between me and the people I'm arguing with, I still feel like we're going back and forth with "is not!" and "is too!" forever. (Is not, by the way.)

    Honestly, from your previous post, it seems like you don't have a complete understanding of "patriarchy" and that's probably why. Sorry to harp. But patriarchy does not exclude being an asshole as an explanation for sexist behaviour, does not exclude individual agency, and is not unchangeable. So if you insist that it is those things, then yeah, you and the people who use the concept are going to be talking past each other.

    Sorry to harsh. Here are some links, if you haven't read this stuff already:
    patriarchy
    kyriarchy
    Denying responsibility for sexism

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I just thought that was funny, I will actually read those carefully when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Boston is working out really well. I've made friends here, I have a home, I'm starting to learn my way around, the city is beautiful, and life in general has been good.

    For the love of fucking god, do not become a motherfucking Boston Red Sock fan!!!!!!! That's even worse than being a tool of teh patriarchy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, *honey*. Ugg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boston seems to fit you nicely. Some friends and I got curious as to what was on the other end of I90 once. We were so creeped out by the place we jumped back on the road after having spent only 10 hours there.

    We had more fun on the journey.

    Maybe if there were someone cool like you there, I'd have spent more than 10 hours.
    But then You weren't even born yet! This was 1984.

    ReplyDelete